The last time I went back to Texas (I live in New Zealand now) my dad and I made the tacos using poblano peppers and vegan cheese. It came out really delicious, but poblanos are almost as rare as unicorns in New Zealand, so I haven't played with the recipe much.
After two years of being vegan, and experimenting with different cashew cream recipes and tasting various plant-based sausages, I finally think I've almost perfected a vegan potato and sausage soup. In the winter months, which are late May to mid-September (weird right?!), my partner requests this dish more than anything else.
It's creamy, comforting and oh-so-satisfying. I hope y'all like it!
Vegan Potato Sausage Soup
- For cashew cream:
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 mins
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 pinches chili powder
- to taste black pepper
- Rest of the soup:
- 6 vegan sausages (I use Alternative Meat Co.)
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large (or 2 medium) leeks, white parts chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 2 pinches chili flakes
- 1 cup cashew cream
- 1 can butter beans or cannellini beans
- 1/2 bunch fresh curly kale
1. Put cashews, garlic, water, salt, chili powder, and nutritional yeast in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
2. Cook sausages according to package instructions. Slice ½ inch thick and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. vegan butter in a soup pot at medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the leeks and garlic and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the leeks & onions are softened, stirring constantly.
4. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.
5. Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, Italian herbs, paprika, and chili flakes. Bring soup to a boil for 2 minutes. Lower the heat until the soup is no longer boiling but still has a good simmer to it. Cover and let cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, destem the kale and tear it into pieces. Set aside.
7. When the soup is done simmering, remove the bay leaf. Mash 4 to 5 pieces of softened potato against the side of the pot. This will help to thicken up the soup.
8. Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of cashew cream. Stir to mix in and let cook on low for 1 minute. Add sausage and beans and let them reheat about 1 minute. Add kale, mix it in and let it sit for about 30 seconds before turning off the heat.
9. Serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of chili flakes and/or vegan parmesan.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Leah Favela