This recipe for Vegan Baked Macaroni & Cheese is a bit more involved than slapping together leftovers--but it's still quite easy! It's perfect as a side or as a main dish, which is how we enjoyed it. This dish can be prepared in advance of cooking and stored in the fridge, so when you're ready to eat, you can have a nice, homecooked meal in under 30 minutes.
It's comfort food meets vibrant spice meets healthy veggie dish. I hope you enjoy it!
Healthy Dinner: Vegan Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 package gluten-free macaroni/elbow noodles
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- juice of one large lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, plus more for greasing the cast iron skillet
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onion, thinly sliced
- 10 broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Use coconut oil to grease a cast iron skillet. Set aside.
2. Prepare elbow noodles according to package instructions.
3. Prepare the vegan cheese. In a high-speed blender, combine cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic, coconut oil, dijon mustard, salt, turmeric, chipotle, pepper, and smoked paprika. Blend until a creamy consistency is reached. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, vegan cheese sauce, and veggies. Mix until everything is evenly covered in cheese.
5. Transfer the mixture to a cast iron skillet. Cover with aluminium foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove foil, and bake for another 5-10, or until the top is lightly golden. Enjoy!
Related: Vegan Sauce Recipes: Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
Warm French Potato Salad with Tempeh
Vegan Pasta with Broccoli and Chickpeas
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell