Healthy Dinner: BBQ Sweet Potato With Horseradish Slaw & Kale
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground horseradish
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- to taste salt + pepper
- For the BBQ Sauce
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- pinch to taste allspice
- For the greens
- handful kale
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
2. Begin by making the BBQ sauce. In a small pot, add all of the ingredients. Mix together well and let simmer for about five minutes so the flavors can infuse. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Wash sweet potato, leaving the skin on. Slice the potato every inch or so, cutting about halfway into the potato. This is so the bbq sauce can sink in while baking.
4. Cover the sweet potato in the bbq sauce and wrap in foil. The extra sauce can be stored in the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
5. While this is cooking, you can prepare the cole slaw. Toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl and chill while the potato cooks.
6. To make the greens, simmer them in the oil and horseradish until they are wilted.
7. To serve, remove the potato from the oven and slice horizontally, making room to stuff it with slaw. Serve greens on the side.
Also by Lauren: Pistachio Rose Water Belgian Waffles
Related: Vegan BBQ Sriracha Seitan Pizza
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote