I admit I don't eat Greek food as often as I would love to, but somehow I still associate summer with Greek deliciousness. The original Greek version of Moussaka includes layers of meat and eggplant topped with a Béchamel sauce, but as vegans we are lucky to have other options. Replace the meat with other protein source such as lentils and use vegan Béchamel sauce on top. Let me tell you I LOVE this vegan Moussaka recipe. It’s flavorful, satisfying, and very tasty!
Greek Style GF Vegan Moussaka With Lentils
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 2 servings
- 1 large potato, cut lengthwise
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise
- to brush + 1 tbsp olive oil
- to taste sea salt & pepper
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 150 g tomato puree
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 3 tbsp GF flour
- a pinch nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the eggplant, zucchini and potato lengthwise into 6-8 pieces each. Arrange all slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and brush lightly with some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion & garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the tomato purée, thyme, oregano, cinnamon and salt & pepper to taste. Finally, add the cooked lentils and let simmer on low heat for about 5 more minutes.
For the Béchamel sauce:
1. Add the vegan butter to a pan and melt it. Mix in the GF flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and whisk. Add the vegan milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Let simmer on low heat for a few minutes until it thickens. Whisk continuously. Remove from heat.
2. Using a larger baking dish, arrange the potato, zucchini and eggplant slices on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the lentil mixture, followed by the remaining potato/eggplant slices. Pour the Béchamel sauce on top and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the Béchamel turns golden brown.
Also by Imola: Vegan King Oyster Mushroom Scallops In White Wine Sauce
GF Vegan Savory Spinach Artichoke Pie
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth