We made this cake with my sister for her name day but it turned out as a “Congrats on your new job” cake as well. Either way, this cake is perfect for breakfast on the next day, too especially with vanilla nut milk. It’s pretty simple, as usual, only grating the carrots take some time.
Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
- 150 g vegan butter
- 200g sugar
- 30 g vanilla sugar
- 4 flax eggs
- 350g grated carrot, raw
- 50 g + for decoration nuts, chopped
- 100ml oil
- 250g gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger bread seasoning
- 25 dkg icing sugar
- 4 tbs orange juice
1. Stir together the vegan butter (should be room temperature) with the sugar until foamy. The best is if you use a hand mixer for this but if you don’t have one it’s still okay, your cake still will be perfect if you stir it manually.
2. Stir it constantly while you slowly add flax eggs (4 flax eggs = 4 tbsp flax + 12 tbsp water. Let soak for about 10 minutes until it obtains a gel-like consistency).
3. In an other bowl measure and mix the dry ingredients. Gently mix it into the creamy mixture. Just then you can add the grated carrot, too.
4. Butter the mould with the remaining tablespoon of vegan butter then scrape spoonfuls of dough evenly into mold. (Dough will be very elastic).
5. Preheat the over to 180 Celsius and bake the cake for about 20-30 minutes until golden and a tester inserted in tcenter comes out clean. Let it cool completely before you decorate it with icing. (Otherwise it will make the icing melt and won’t look as nice.)
For the icing:
Mix the icing sugar and the orange juice in a bowl. You can add less or more juice to combine. Pour on top of the cake when the cake is no longer warm. You can decorate it with leftover nuts.
Photo: Imola Toth