This is the ultimate comfort food—super easy to make, full of spices that will warm you from the inside out, and obviously entails the mandatory pumpkin without which comforting autumn/winter dishes just don’t feel right…What are you waiting for to make this?
Pumpkin & Cauliflower Red Lentil Dahl
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger (or more!)
- 1 tsp Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala paste, Curcuma and Curry
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 medium Pumpkin (about 300g), chopped in cubes
- 1/2 head Cauliflower, chopped in florets
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 1/2 Can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Can Coconut milk
- A couple handfuls Fresh or Frozen Spinach
- Water, as needed
- Cilantro, to serve (optional)
1. Chop up the onion and garlic and place them in a hot saucepan with some water over medium-high heat.
2. Wash and chop the cauliflower and pumpkin.
3. Once the onion and garlic have turned slightly brown, add in all of the spices (including the vegetable stock powder and ginger) and stir until fragrant (about one or two minutes).
4. Add in the red lentils, chopped cauliflower, pumpkin, can of diced tomatoes, and just enough water to cover the red lentils.
5. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until the red lentils ‘fall apart’, forming a thick dahl, and the pumpkin and cauliflower have cooked through. Keep adding water as needed, just enough to cover the lentils.
6. Once the veggies and lentils are cooked through, stir in the coconut milk and spinach (the more, the merrier!), and wait until it has heated through again, and the spinach is a little wilted.
7. Serve over a bowl of jasmine rice or some roasted sweet potatoes, and dig in!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rebecca Botello