If you ever needed motivation to get out of bed on a Monday morning, this is it! Amaranth, quinoa, oats and oat milk create the creamy base, and the toppings provide a wonderful crunch for the perfect mix of textures. Speculoos gives this amazing dish a Christmasy-twist (make your own for bonus points, or just buy in the Supermarket - the regular ones are usually vegan), and almond butter binds it all together for a heavenly experience. This is one recipe you'll go back to again and again!
Ancient Grain Breakfast Protein Bowl
Recipe Type: Breakfast
YIELDS 2-3 servings
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Rolled oats and Amaranth (mixed)
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 cup Oat milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Ginger, to taste (Grated or chopped small)
- 3 Apples, chopped small
- 3 Handfuls Blueberries
- 3/4 Pomegranate, peeled
- 6 Dates
- 3 TBSP Almond Butter
- 3-6 TBSP Pistachios
- 3 Speculoos biscuits
- Hemp seeds
- Coconut flakes
1. Rinse quinoa and put in a pot with the rolled oat, amaranth, milk, water, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat and let simmer until the quinoa, oats and amaranth have absorbed most of the liquid and have softened, forming a creamy texture (about 20 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, chop the apples and dates, peel the pomegranate and crumble up the Speculoos biscuits.
4. Transfer the quinoa mixture to 2-3 bowls and top each with 1 chopped up apple, a handful of blueberries, ¼ pomegranate, 2 chopped up dates, 1 TBSP almond butter, 1-2 TBSP pistachios, hemp seeds, coconut flakes, more oat milk, and 1 crumbled up Speculoos biscuit.