They go well with various toppings, as a main dish or even as sides. I prefer them mostly for breakfast with loaded guacamole, vegan sour cream and vegan cheese.
Gluten-Free Vegan Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes)
- 1.5 kg red potatoes
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- to replace 2 eggs Egg substitute powder
- ¼ cup gluten free flour mix
- 2 tbs Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Chilies (optional)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 dkg vegan cheddar, shredded
1. Fill a pot with just enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until you can easily pierce the largest potato with a fork. Immediately plunge the hot potatoes into a bowl of ice water. Carefully remove all the skins.
2. Mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher add vegan sour cream and egg substitute, stir to combine.
3. Min in GF flour, parsley, and chilies with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Using your hands, form the potato mix into 8 equal patties.
4. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add a bit of vegan butter, and when it melts, add the patties to the skillet.
Cook them for 4–6 minutes on each side, they should be crusty and golden.
5. Serve with shredded cheese, more herbs or even herbed vegan sour cream on top.
Also by Imola: Vegan Potato Sauerkraut Soup
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth