After roasting my squash, I decided to add it to a pot with some orzo and let them melt away together to create a creamy risotto. Risotto usually calls for rice, but I used orzo in this recipe because that is what I had on hand. I seasoned this with a bunch of winter spices to stimulate my blood circulation, which in turn, helps to distribute heat throughout my body. This makes the perfect dish to be served alongside a fresh salad and some roasted veggies.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 2 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cup s vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash in oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Add to a baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven.
2. In a large pot, add the butter over medium heat. Let heat for a couple minutes, stirring constantly, until the butter darkens a bit and foam forms on top. This is your brown butter.
3. Add the shallot and garlic to the butter and sauté for a couple minutes. Add the butternut squash and orzo and seasonings and stir to coat well.
4. Add the vinegar, broth, and yogurt, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until orzo is soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, top with scallions, and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote