As someone with an unwavering sweet tooth, I often find myself needing chocolate. This recipe uses a base of white beans and oats, making it a much more nutrient-balanced way to enjoy a delicious brownie. As long as they are not overbaked, the brownies have a fudgy consistency and rich chocolate flavor.
GF Vegan White Bean Brownies
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS About 12 servings
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (or more!) dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Add all ingredients except the chocolate chips into a blender or food processor.
2. Blend well and scrape the sides of the blender if needed. Make sure that the white beans are fully incorporated into the batter (you want to avoid any lonely beans ending up in the batter).
3. Line a 9-by-9-inch pan (or similar size, just adjust the baking time accordingly) with parchment paper. Pour the batter in, and smooth.
4. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Make sure not to overbake, or the brownies will be dry.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Cassidy Klingman