- 1/2 papaya
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 avocados
- 3 large carrots
- 5 mini cucumbers
- 16oz silken tofu
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- Thai Chili Vinaigrette
- 2 limes (freshly squeezed)
- 2 thai chilis (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp soy sauce
1. Pour warm water into a bowl and combine with 1 tsp sugar, stirring until dissolved.
2. Wash and mince cilantro and Thai chilis, pouring into the sugar-water mixture along with the juice of two limes, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, and soy sauce.
3. Stir until well-combined and set aside.
4. Peel carrots and cut both the carrots and cucumbers into tiny slivers.
5. Find a shallow, small container and place the carrots and cucumbers inside, pouring the Thai chili vinaigrette over top (reserving 2 Tbsp of the vinaigrette for later). Let sit for 2–4 hours so the carrots and cucumbers can soak up the flavor.
6. Remove silken tofu from its container and place on a plate or shallow bowl.
7. Drain excess water and steam in microwave for five minutes at 80 percent power, placing a wax paper or lid over top.
8. After tofu steams, heat up 2 Tbsp oil of your choosing along with 2 T of soy sauce, 1 T minced garlic, and 2 Tbsp reserved Thai chili vinaigrette in a bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds.
9. Once tofu is out of the oven, drizzle oil sauce over top, and let it seep into the tofu while the carrot and cucumbers are marinating.
10. After the tofu, carrots, and cucumbers are properly marinated, it’s time to assemble.
11. Cut slivers of avocado and papaya and set aside.
12. Place rice paper in a shallow pie pan with water, soaking until the rice paper is sticky and malleable.
13. Place slivers of carrots, cucumbers, avocado, papaya, tofu, and cilantro leaves in the center of the rice paper wrap, and then fold like a burrito into a spring roll.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick