Hearts of palm have a mild, earthy flavor that is similar to an artichoke heart. After being roasted and blended with some almond milk, it results in the most perfectly creamy bisque. You can add some corn to make this more reminiscent of a chowder. Feel free to stir in some greens or beans to make this even more dense, and to help stretch the soup a little further. I served mine alongside a garden salad and some toasted bread for a filling fall lunch.
Creamy Vegan Hearts Of Palm Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups hearts of palm (canned)
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- salt & black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss hearts of palm, onion, and garlic in olive oil and add to a roasting pan. Roast for about 25 minutes, until they begin to brown.
3. Remove roasted veggies from the oven and add them to a large pot. Add the thyme, rosemary, almond milk, and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 10–15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
6. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote