Today I'm sneaking some pumpkin into this vegan Pumpkin Chili Recipe and "oh captain, my captain," is it delicious! The pumpkin spice might sound strange in a chili, but it adds a richness to your bowl.
Lately I see recipes everywhere using a slow cooker or crock pot. I may be a traditionalist, but I just love to make everything in a good old-fashioned stove pot. It just tastes different and yes, you might need to care about it a bit more, but it can still be made simple.
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups pumpkin/butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium chili pepper, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp salt
- to taste fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can white beans (or black), drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 can sweet corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 cup veggie broth
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp green lime juice
- to taste Tabasco
1. In a large pot, heat up the olive oil and sauté the onions until translucent, then add garlic, chopped chili pepper and chopped pumpkin or butternut squash and sauté for a few minute.
2. Add in all the spices and stir until all the veggies are coated in the spices. Continue stirring and cooking the spices for a few minutes.
3. Add veggie broth and cook until pumpkin is softened. Just when pumpkins cubes are soft enough, make a puree with the potato mash. If you don’t have or don’t want to do this part you can skip cooking the pumpkin and use pumpkin puree instead.
4. Add the canned chopped tomatoes, tabasco, lime juice, kidney and white/black beans and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to a simmer until everything is cooked together, but beans are not overcooked. Taste and add more salt and spices to your liking.
5. Once all the flavors have melded together and the chili it warmed through, serve it topped with your favorite garnishes. I love to top it with vegan sour cream and dried parsley but it’s also heavenly with corn bread.
Also by Imola: Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup With Shallots
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth