This roasted root veggie and fennel soup is just perfect for those times when your body is craving rest from the heavy foods you feed it with yet is still very nutritious and filling so you won't even feel like cleansing your body and giving the digestion the much needed rest. Hot soup with some bread and butter on the side always feels like a giant hug, too.
GF Vegan Creamy Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato And Fennel Soup
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 medium bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- to taste salt, pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Chop the veggies and place them on a non sticky baking tray. Splash with a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Roast it in the oven for about 20–30 minutes, until veggies are tender and slightly browned.
4. When they are done, using a large pot, heat the oil over a medium heat.
5. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing until fragrant and the onions are translucent. Add in the roasted vegetables, spices and stir to combine, then pour in the veggie stock. Cook it just enough to warm up the stock and using a hand blender puree the soup until it becomes silky and creamy. If you have a standing blender, wait until soup is cooled down a little or don’t heat it up that much before, but once blended.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning, salt and pepper.
Serve hot with extra fennel sprigs and a drizzle of coconut cream, tahini or whatever you prefer.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth