What else can you do with them besides put it in your salad or on top of avocado toast? Make pesto! Even better.... make pesto pizza! And it's extra special not just because of the much healthier gluten-free pizza dough, but because of the microgreens pesto packed with nutrients.
Consider adding these aromatic green little plants to your dishes as they pack a nutritional punch. While their nutrient contents vary slightly, most varieties tend to be rich in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and copper. Microgreens are also a great source of beneficial plant compounds like antioxidants. What’s more, their nutrient content is concentrated, which means that they often contain higher vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant levels than the same quantity of mature greens.
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 3 "vegan eggs" (3 tbsp of ground flax seeds in 9 tbsp of water)
- 4 cup microgreens (I used raddish microgreens)
- 3 cloves galric, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- to taste salt, pepper
- 3 pieces sun dried tomato, sliced
- 3 pieces cherry tomato, sliced
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- extra microgreens to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
For the Cauliflower dough:
1. Cook the cauliflower in a large bowl of salted water. Once done remove it from the water and set aside to cool.
2. When it’s cooled down, take a kitchen cloth and place the cauliflower florets in it, take the edges of the cloth to close the cauliflower in and over the kitchen sink, press out as much water from the cauliflower as you just can. Then, place the cauliflower in a large bowl and mash it with a potato masher. You can also use a blender for this, but I personally prefer it more chunky.
3. Add flour, starch, salt and herbs and the vegan egg replacement and make a dough. If you need you can add more or less flour.
4. Place a parchment paper on a baking tray and spread corn meal over it. Take your dough and roll it out over the corn meal on the tray. Put it in the oven to pre-bake it until it starts to turn golden.
For the microgreens pesto:
Combine the ingredients (microgreens, vegan cheese, lemon juice, garlic, almonds, olive oil) in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional olive oil achieve a thick sauce consistency. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Once your pizza dough seems good enough, take it out of the oven and spread the pesto evenly on top. I also topped with sliced cherry and sun dried tomatoes and grated vegan cheese. Put back in the oven until cheese is melted.
I also topped with extra microgreens to serve.
Also by Imola: Oven-Baked Vegan Kimchi Mac N’ Cheese
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth