You can also enjoy this delicious, fruity-nutty stuffing as a main or side dish on your Thanksgiving table, or even at Christmas. This rice includes several. We’ve got butternut squash, walnuts, dried cranberries, and apples—warmly spiced with cinnamon, and herbed with parsley and oregano. It makes a ton, so it will be enough for all of your guests, too.
GF Vegan Black Rice Thanksgiving Stuffing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, finely chopped
- 2 cups black rice
- to taste sea salt
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup walnut
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
1. Add the oil, onion, and butternut squash to a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chopped apple, garlic, black rice, sea salt, oregano, and cinnamon and stir to combine; sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add the dried cranberries, veggie broth, wine, orange zest, and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer, cover, cook 20 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed and the squash is tender.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Uncover the dutch oven, place on the center rack of the oven, and bake for about 10 to 20 minutes, until all of the water has been absorbed and top is crispy. Remove from the oven and stir in chopped almonds and walnut and fresh parsley. Taste the stuffing and adjust the seasoning if needed.
More Thanksgiving recipes: Cheezy Scalloped Potatoes
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth