If you can wait that long, that is—I generally find that this disappears within 15 minutes of making a batch, if my partner is within a 5-mile radius!
For a gluten-free version, you could substitute tamari for the soy sauce.
Vegan Tofu Crunchling (High-Protein Tofu Chips)
- 450 g Block of firm (or extra firm) tofu, well pressed
- As needed Spray oil (any mild-flavored oil works just fine)
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce (like to use Shoyu or another aged, rich dark soy) or 1 tsp flaked sea salt (more or less to taste)
1. Preheat your oven to its maximum temperature.
2. Take your pressed tofu block, and thinly slice it (the thinner the slices, the less cooking time needed, and the crunchier it will be).
3. Line a baking sheet or oven tin (roasting tin, cake tin, whatever you have available) with foil, or baking parchment (foil generally means less cooking time).
4. Spray your lined tin with the oil, as evenly as possible.
5. Arrange your thin slices of tofu around the sheet, and avoid overlaps (you can always use a second tin if needed, or bake in batches). They should be 1 slice deep.
6. Spray the tofu slices with oil—get them all covered.
7. Sprinkle your soy sauce all over, so that each slice has at least a splash of soy on it, or sprinkle your salt evenly all over the tofu (again, try and make sure each piece has a little).
8. Once the oven reaches temperature, pop the tofu in.
9. Keep checking, every 5-7 minutes or so. When the pieces are starting to look golden/brown around the edges, remove the tray and flip them over. (Top tip: I like to rearrange the slices so that the more well done ones are exchanged with the paler less crispy ones, to get a consistent crunch.)
10. Once the second side is nice and golden brown, and the pieces are pretty hard (it should also be smelling pretty toasty by now), take out the tray, and move the slices onto a wire rack, or plate lined with kitchen roll.
11. Let your crunchling cool (if you can wait that long), and enjoy!
Also by Ema: Authentic, Customizable Vegan Dhal (Heirloom Recipe)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Ema Melanaphy