After cooking a few cups of garbanzo beans last week, my mind what stumped on what to do with them. Should I freeze them?…mash them?…store them? I couldn’t decide. I knew I wanted them for dinner that night but since chickpeas taste good with just about anything and in every way possible, I felt overwhelmed with ideas. When I began scrounging through the kitchen cabinets and fridge, I put the broccoli, coconut milk and cooked rice on the counter and immediately thought, “Of course! Coconut curry!” In less than 30 minutes I had the perfect curry dish served over a warm bed of steamed rice.
Chickpea and Broccoli Coconut Curry
- 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle pepper
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
1. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth with no clumps. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat skillet at med-high setting. Drizzle olive oil.
3. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Stir until golden brown.
4. Lower heat to med-low setting. Add the rest of the ingredients.
5. Add cornstarch mix to skillet. Cook until thickened.
6. Serve over bed of white rice. (optional).
Photo: Cristina Nidome