Cheesy Jalapeño Polenta Cakes With Balsamic Mushrooms (GF Vegan)
- Polenta Cakes
- 200g polenta
- 20g jalapeños
- 20g yeast
- 30ml olive oil
- 6g salt
- Balsamic Mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms
- 7.5ml balsamic vinegar
- 4g salt
- 5g yeast
- 15 ml olive oil
- a few sprigs herb of grace
1. Simmer 1.5 cups of water on the stove.
2. Add polenta and cook until soft and dried out.
3. We are not looking for porridge but a cakey texture.
4. Transfer into a heatproof bowl and add finely chopped jalapeño, yeast, salt and olive oil.
5. Mix well then press into a lined, rectangular mold until flat (1.5cm/ .60 inch width) and even.
6. Bake at 200°C/ 414°F for 20 minutes.
7. Once cooled, cut into 5 cm squares and set aside.
1. Evenly chop the mushrooms and sauté for no more than 4 minutes on medium heat with the salt and balsamic vinegar.
2. Remove from heat and stir in yeast. (prep this step just before serving)
1. As in the picture, find a serving bowl that is a nice color contrast to the polenta.
2. Place 4 slices of polenta one on top of the other, with the next layer balancing on the edge of the last one.
3. Spoon a line of balsamic mushrooms on top.
4. Garnish with herb of grace.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Prashantha Lachanna