Oh, beloved beet brownies. On a par with carrot cake (and I REALLY like carrot cake), beets give brownies the squidge factor like no other ingredient. They have this amazing way of keeping everything moist and fudgy without ever feeling sickly. Plus, their natural sweetness means that you can reduce the added sugar, knocking these up a notch on the “appropriate to eat for breakfast?” scale that I measure baked goods on.
Funny story. I lived abroad as a kid, but my brother and I would get ridiculously excited about visiting family in England as we saw it as an opportunity to indulge in some of our favorite foods: pickled onions and pickled beets. I don’t know why we had such a fondness for these strange vegetables in jars that somewhat resembled the preserved specimens I worked with in a museum collection many years later, but alas, we did. We would happily plough our way through a jar per day until it got to the point where mother dearest had to put a cap on it. Can you imagine what color my insides must have been by that point *shudders*?
These days, I’m still a big fan, but I have a bit more control over my addiction. Plus, I’ve discovered that there are WAY better ways to consume this earthy, purple gem than simply doused in vinegar (although don’t get me wrong, those jars still have a special place in my heart).
Whatever the occasion, these vegan beet brownies are a dreamy indulgence that are definitely a healthier option if you’re looking to cut down on the fat and sugar in your desserts. The best part? No one would ever know. Dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free, these beet brownies contain only the good stuff without any compromise on texture or flavor. A family favorite of mine that I hope will be yours too.
Healthiest Light & Fudgy Beet Brownies (Vegan & Gluten-free!)
- 2 Tablespoons Flax Meal
- 6 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Large Raw Beets
- 3 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 1/4 Cups Full-fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch (or Arrowroot)
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Ground Almonds
- 3/4 Cup Besan/Gram Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Preheat Oven to 360°F/180°C and grease and line a square brownie pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine flax and water to make flax “eggs.” Let sit for 10 minutes.
3.. Meanwhile, chop the ends off your beets, peel, then roughly chop and transfer to a food processor.
4. Transfer processed beets into a blender with the coconut milk and blend on high until you have a rich purple purée.
5. Pour the beet purée into a large mixing bowl and add in all other ingredients including the flax eggs. Mix well.
6. Transfer the mix to your pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. An inserted skewer should come out almost clean, but not quite. The brownies will solidify while cooling, so some gooeyness is forgivable.
7. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan, then slice into 9 brownies and enjoy immediately or transfer to an airtight container for up to 3 days (if they last that long without being scoffed!).
Related: Vegan S’Mores Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kat Kennedy