I've only been camping a couple times but enough to know that I'm not a fan. It's not the forced isolation or even the technology fast; I'm just generally averse to the idea of "roughing it." And, I really don't like bugs. What I *can* get behind, though, is camping food. Chili and cornbread? Yes, please. PB&J? A forever classic. S'mores toasted over an open fire? I'm into it. My version of s'mores is heat-free but just as delicious. These vegan s'mores brownies are super simple to make and are packed with the delicious flavors of traditional s'mores. I was excited to discover that Trader Joe's is now selling their own version of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows but feel free to use whatever vegan marshmallow you can get your hands on for these s'mores brownies! Whether your summer travels take you to the great outdoors or simply to your back porch, I hope you enjoy these vegan s'mores brownies!
Vegan S’mores Brownies
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 5-6 small brownies
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan marshmallows, cut into bite-size pieces
- Flour, to prevent marshmallow bits from sticking together
1. Place dates in food processor and pulse a few times. Add 2-3 tablespoons water to form a thick paste (the amount of water you use depends on the consistency of your dates, so add it slowly). 2. Once dates are in paste form, add cocoa powder and vanilla. Pulse again until the mixture is well-combined. 3. Add the marshmallows to the food processor and pulse a couple of times--don't overdo it! 4. Turn the s'mores mixture into a glass container or other flat surface, and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours to harden. Leftovers will keep in the freezer for a couple weeks.
Also by Molly: Vegan Iced Golden Turmeric Latte
Related: Gluten-Free Mocha Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne