Two years ago, I went to Sweden for my sister’s wedding. While there, I became obsessed with muesli. I came back to the states devoutly filling my breakfast bowl to the brim with the stuff.
About a month or so after I returned to America, I went from vegetarian to vegan. Somehow in the transition, muesli was left behind. For a while, muesli’s been MIA in my household. Recently, a German friend and I were discussing breakfast when she mentioned muesli.
!Muesli! My brain lit up. My dear old friend…
Muesli is a wonderful food for vegans as it contains a multitude of nuts and seeds which provide important nutrients such as calcium and protein.
Typically when I make granola, I use oats as my base. However, as I’m on a muesli roll, I decided to experiment using muesli as my base. It worked marvelously. The dried fruit, nuts, and seeds add a depth to the granola that makes it ultra satisfying.
This granola has no processed sugar or added oils like many typical storebought versions. Much of the sweetness comes from the banana, which also gives it a texture that’s more like a granola bar. It’s delicious enjoyed with nut milk, plant-based yogurt, or own its own.
Swedish-Inspired Oil-Free Muesli-Based Granola
- 1 Cup Muesli
- 1/2 Cup Cornflakes
- 1 Banana
- 1 tablespoon Almond Butter
- 1 tablespoon Soy Milk
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Pinch Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Using a fork, mash a banana in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Add almond butter, soy milk, maple syrup, almond extract, and salt to the bowl. Stir until well combined.
5. Then add muesli, cornflakes, and chocolate chips to the wet mixture. Stir again until well combined.
6. Spread the mixture onto the parchment paper lined tray.
7. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Check on the granola, if golden brown take out of the oven. If not, continue baking for another 5-10 minutes.
Also by Bella: 100-Calorie Vegan Frozen Yogurt
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Bella Gadsby