When it's snowing outside and it's so cold that nobody wants to go anywhere, what is the best thing you could do to make the day cozy yet fun? Make gnocchi with your family! It gives you a little break and you come back with the feeling of a mini vacation. How to make the day even better? Chill on the sofa with your loved ones after you finish cooking, and have a lovely conversation over a bowl of gnocchi with them. If you are alone, Netflix and a plate of gnocchi make the evening perfectly cozy. There is something about butternut squash that just makes winter, at least for me, feel a little less depressing. Maybe because it still gives the colorful autumn vibes in the grey cold days.
5 Ingredient GF Vegan Butternut Squash Gnocchi With Spinach
YIELDS 4-6 servings
- 4 cups butternut squash, diced
- 5 cups + for rolling gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 handful baby spinach
- to taste vegan butter or margarine
- Boil, bake or steam your butternut squash until very soft, then mash it until it’s smooth and consistent.
- In a large bowl, add the butternut squash, gluten free flour and salt and mix together until you have a tight yet spongy dough. Depending on the moisture content of your squash, you may need to add more flour. Just keep adding until you have the right consistency.
- On a floured board, take a piece of the dough and roll it into a rope.
- Cut the rope into bite sized pieces. Roll each piece over the tines of a fork and place on a floured dish until ready to boil. Bring a big, heavily salted pot of water to the boil. Add the gnocchi, taking care not to overcrowd the pot. That will cause them to stick together. Once the gnocchi float, they are ready.
- In a large pan, melt some of the vegan butter, add the spinach and the gnocchi and fry them for occasionally stirring until the gnocchis edge start to turn golden brown, then flip them. If you need fry them in batches.
- Eat them while warm. You can serve it with vegan cheese, vegan sour cream or with sauce.
Photo: Imola Toth