Mother, actress, producer, and dancer are the titles on Jenna Dewan’s Instagram. I don’t know about you, but having had experience in two out of the four titles (mother and dancer,) I know that Jenna’s got some major skills to be able to juggle all of that. She’s one of the few professional dancers who have successfully maintained a dancer’s shape while pursuing multiple careers and being a hands-on mommy! Her healthy vegan diet definitely helps. Jenna told Women’s Health that she loves starting her day with an alkalizing green smoothie.
Body like this wasn’t made lying down…
Dance, Pilates and weight lifting make up the majority of her fitness routine. Celebrity trainer, Jennifer Johnson, who made up the JJ Dancer Method has Jenna doing high intensity workouts that create sculpted, long, lean dancer muscles. To get a dancer’s body like Jenna, do these 5 moves!
- Teeter-Totter Plank– Start in a high plank position with your shoulders over your wrists and abs pulled into your back. Touch your left hand to your right elbow. Return to the start position and complete one rep by touching the right hand to your left elbow. Do 20 reps
2. Kneeling Arabesque Kicks– Get down on all fours and place your forearms on the ground. Your shoulders should be over your elbows and knees hip distance apart. Pull your abs in and straighten your right leg back as you lift it up as high as you can without disengaging your abs. Bring the leg back down and repeat. Do 20 reps on each leg.
3. Sliding Ab Straddle Ups– Get into a forearm plank position with your feet on slider discs (If you don’t have slider discs, you can use two towels on a non-carpeted floor.) Using your core muscles, pull your hips up to the sky as you slide your feet out to the sides. Bring your legs together as you slide back down to your plank position. Do two sets of 15.
4. Table Top Squat– Grab a pair of light dumbbells for this move (if you don’t have any, just make fists with your hands.) Stand with your legs together. Step out with your right leg into a low squat position, back flat and arms hanging down to the ground. Stay low as you kick your right leg up to hip height in parallel while lifting your arms up to a “T.” Lower your arms and legs back down to your squat position before standing up with your legs together. Repeat for 20 reps on each side.
5. Sling Shot– Use a resistance band if you have one, otherwise, do the same move with light weights in your hands (as demonstrated.) Stand on the middle of a resistance band with your left foot and each end of the band in either hand. Step your right leg back into a lunge position as you lift your arms up to the sides parallel to the ground. Keeping your weight on your left foot, stand up and kick your right leg up while lowering the arms to your sides. Keep the left knee soft as you kick the right leg. Do 20 reps on each side.
Have you tried any dance based workouts lately?
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Video: Crystal Chin; Photo: Jenna Dewan via Instagram