As graceful as she is tough, Charlize Theron is living proof that a toned ballerina body is for more than just dancing!
Charlize Theron, star of the new action-packed spy thriller Atomic Blonde is not one to shy away from intense workouts. Staying physically active has always been a big part of her life. Having trained as a ballerina when she was younger, Theron developed the long lean muscles and coordination that helped her train for her action role in Atomic Blonde. “The entire stunt team was very pleasantly surprised at her overall physical ability,” stunt coordinator Sam Hargrave told People. “She was extremely tough; she did 95 percent of all of her own fighting.”
While Theron did tons of fight training specifically for her role in this movie, she maintains her ballerina body between movies with celebrity trainer, Fedele De Santis. De Santis does a ballet-based total body routine with Theron using 3 and 5 lb. dumbbells and high reps. Follow along to get Charlize Theron’s gorgeous ballerina body!
1. Pliés in Second Position: For an even greater challenge, hold a 3 lb. weight in each hand! Begin with your arms rounded in front of your body and your legs turned out and spread wider than shoulder width. Bend your knees to plié, lowering your body without sticking out your butt. Keep your back straight and abs pulled in. As you lower your body, open your arms to your sides, keeping the elbows rounded. Bring your arms back in while straightening your legs. Do 35-50 reps.
2. Bicep Curls: De Santis does these seated, but you may also do them standing. Grasp 5 lb. dumbbells in each hand. With your arms by your sides, keep your shoulder blades back and down. Exhale as you slowly bend your elbows, bringing the dumbbells towards your shoulders. Don’t allow your shoulders to rise, your back to arch or your wrists, to bend. Inhale to slowly lower the arms back down by your sides. Complete 1 set of 60 reps or 2 sets of 30 reps.
3. Side Laterals: Hold onto your 3 lb. weights as you stand straight up. The palms of your hands should be facing you as your arms are at your sides. Exhale as you lift your arms up to your sides so they are parallel to the ground. Keep a soft elbow and don’t use any momentum. Inhale to slowly lower the arms back down to your sides and repeat. Do 1 set of 35 reps.
4. Butt-Lifts: Lie down with your knees bent and your feet hip distance apart. Keep your arms palms down on the floor by your sides. For an added challenge, you may balance your palms on the tops of your dumbbells. Exhale to squeeze your glutes and lift your hips up to the sky. Lift from the hamstrings and glutes rather than your back. Keep your abs pulled in to prevent arching the back too much. Inhale as you lower back down. Do one set of 75 reps.
5. Bicycle Crunches: Lie on the floor with your legs in a tabletop position. Hold your head with your hands and crunch up. Alternate pulling in one knee to the opposite elbow while the other leg straightens. Twist your torso from your abs rather than your arms to reach the elbow to the knee. Twisting to each side is one rep. Breathe naturally and do 1 set of 60 reps.
6. Modified Plank: Get into a pushup position, keeping your body in one straight line from your head to your toes. Pull your abdominals and hold this position for a minimum of 60 seconds. For an added challenge, perform 10-20 push-ups at the end of your hold!
Have you tried any ballerina body workouts that you like?
Also by Crystal: These 6 Moves Will Slim and Sculpt Your Entire Body (Video)
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: mariyabutd via Flickr; Video: Crystal Chin