Shepherd’s pie is a lovely comfort food; creamy mashed potatoes baked atop a veggie stew is sure to satisfy vegans and non-vegans alike. This recipe is oil-free, low in sodium, and low-fat, but packs in loads of vitamins!
Wholesome Vegan Shepherd’s Pie With Leek & Poblano Pepper
12-14 Potatoes (Any variety but creamer potatoes blend up easiest!)
1 Red Pepper
8 oz Mushrooms (The more mushrooms, the heartier the sauce will be–Portabello mushrooms work wonderfully in this, but any mushroom will do!)
2 Ears Corn
1 Poblano Pepper
1 Calabezza Squash
6 Roma Tomatoes
1/4 Red Onion or 1 Shallot
Unsalted Vegetable Broth
Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and Oregano
*Feel free to add or exchange for any types of veggies–fennel, carrot, spinach, and eggplant all make wonderful additions and each give their own lovely flavor to the dish.
**Please remember to THOROUGHLY wash your vegetables, they are extremely dirty!**
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Chop all the potatoes and place into a large pot (you may peel them if you wish, but I prefer unpeeled–more nutrients!). Pour enough water to cover the potatoes. Add some salt to the water and bring to a boil until the potatoes are completely soft (able to fall off a fork).
3. Drain potatoes in a colander. Place potatoes either back in original pot or separate bowl and pour in a little over 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or enough to mash into a creamy consistency. Add 1 tsp. salt, 4 tsp. basil, 1/4 red onion or one shallot, chopped finely, and 1 large clove of garlic. Mix well and add pepper to taste. (More basil seems to give it a creamier quality so feel free to add as much as you’d like!) Cover potatoes and set aside.
4. Chop up the remaining vegetables and place into a large pot/pan and saute in 1 and 1/4 cup of Vegetable Broth, and 1/2 tsp. of rosemary, thyme, oregano, and salt respectively. Add pepper to taste. When vegetables are soft, take off the stove and pour into an oven-safe dish.
5. Cover the veggie stew with the mashed potatoes, like icing a cake. Place into a 350°F oven for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and crisp on top.
6. Take out of oven, let cool, serve, and enjoy!
More delicious dinner ideas: Vegan Penne Alfredo with Broccoli
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Jessica Ferguson