With every new season comes a tidal wave of fresh beauty trends. The barrage of new looks to try can often become overwhelming, so I’ve done the research for you and compiled 12 of the most popular beauty trends that you need to try now!
Here’s how to get glowing (the vegan and cruelty free way!) this spring!
Try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Creme Colour Concentrate in Grandma for your lips and cheeks & Pacifica’s Coral Sand shade (from their Enlighten Eye Brightening Palette) to get in on the peach trend!
2. Negative Space Nail Art: I have to admit that this particular trend is one that I had a hard time understanding the allure of at first. On the runway, it seems totally normal and chic to have partially painted nails, but at the office? Not so much. However, you can easily take this bold trend into something totally wearable with just a few simple tweaks:
- Pick one accent nail. Usually when doing an accent nail, I use my ring fingers, but any finger is totally fair game. This way you can participate in the trend without looking like your nails went on a trip to the modern art museum without you.
- Proportions are everything. On my first attempt at this trend, I ended up with a huge gap of unpainted nail and a tiny bottom section that was painted. The key to rocking this look successfully is to pick the right amount of space to show off on your nails. Cutting tape into thin strips and laying them across your nails will ensure even, perfectly proportioned lines without all of the hassle of using a tiny brush and guessing at what width you should leave unpainted.
- One word: Glitter. If you are still weary of this trend, try doing your accent nail with a glitter shade in a complementary color to your other four nails. Glitter accent nails are a popular trend, so by choosing to utilize that within your negative space nail art, you’re able to merge an old faithful trend with a new, exciting one. This way, you’ll only be a small step outside of your comfort zone.
- Choose symmetrical geometric shapes & patterns. Symmetry is generally very pleasing to our eye, which means you are likely to be much happier with your manicure if you choose a simple, symmetrical shape over an outlandish asymmetrical one. A small stripe or two or a chevron pattern are not only easily achieved (thank you, tape!), but they are also simple ways to embrace this trend without going totally over-the-top.
3. Bright Red-Orange & Red-Pink Lipstick: Deep red lips will always be a timeless style staple, but this spring instead of reaching for your favorite dark red lipstick or gloss, try a bright orange or pink-based red to update your look! It’ll freshen up your usual beauty routine and add a little flair to your tried-and-true look.
My favorite bold red lip shades to try this spring are Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Matte in NSFW, Insomnia Cosmetics Lipstick in Prowl, & Pacifica’s Devocean Natural Lipstick in Firebird.
4. Dramatic, Black Cat Eyes: Looking to change up your classic black eyeliner? This spring is the season to finally take the plunge and try out a look with some added drama! Wearing black winged liner in a bolder width and shape will not only help you make a striking style statement, but it will also add some emphasis to your beautiful eyes!
My favorite products for achieving this look are:
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Cosmetic Colour Pencil in Tarred: Using a pencil will help you get a perfectly precise wing!
- Pacifica Beauty Smolder Eye Lining Gel in Tahitian Pearl: Though this shade is more of a grey tone than a true black, I recommend using it as your base for winged eyeliner. Using an angled eyeliner brush, gently sweep this gel liner into your desired shape and then use the same brush and your favorite matte black eye shadow to deepen the tone of the liner. Not only will you get a deep, dark black eyeliner with this method, but you will also help to set the gel liner, which means no awful eyeliner smudges!
- ZuZu Luxe Liquid Eyeliner in Raven: The super precise brush that this eyeliner comes equipped with will be any liquid eyeliner fan’s dream come true. To ensure an ultra-precise application, apply a series of short dashes across your eyelid and extend them past the outer corners of your eye. Then, use the provided brush or an angled eyeliner brush to blend the dashes together into the perfect swoop! Bonus: This product is also water-resistant and gluten-free!
With a light foundation or tinted moisturizer, some light contouring, and a few coats of mascara, you can feel confident even when your skin might be still feeling “the winter blahs.” Try Etherealle Cosmetics‘ blush, bronzer, and highlighters for an effortless, natural glow!
6. Color Pop: Adding a pop of color to your eye make-up will help freshen up your beauty routine this spring! Try incorporating a bright blue, coral or canary yellow to your usual eye make-up to brighten up your eyes. One of the easiest ways to add a small flash of color without going totally overboard is to apply it as your eyeliner or as an eye shadow accent color. This spring is all about branching out and trying something bold and new!
7. Grungy Smokey Eyes: The smokey eye is back again this season and is as sultry and enticing as ever. The trick to achieving the perfect smokey is all in how you blend your eye shadow. Use a rounded eye shadow brush to gently blur away the edges of your eye shadow to keep your look soft and sultry. Pair your smokey eye with a neutral pink lip, and you’ll be ready to rock this spring!
My favorite eye shadows for achieving the perfect smokey eye are from Addictive Cosmetics “Dark and Dirty” Collection. It includes 6 shades: Ursula (a deep purple), Vino (a deep reddish brown), Dragonlady (a charcoal grey), Flat Black (matte black), Sailor (a medium blue) & Sinister (a deep chocolate brown). Ursula, Vino & Dragonlady were used for my above look.
8. Nude Nail Polish: Nude nail polish is the perfect choice for a spring manicure that will match any outfit. It’s classy, chic and universally flattering!
9. Wine Colored Lips: Deep wine colored lips aren’t just for fall anymore! Bring out your best burgundy and plum lipsticks this spring to get in on this hot spring trend! Pair this bold, sultry look with a neutral eye for a daytime look and then spice it up with a bold cat eye for the perfect evening make-up.
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Cosmetic Colour Pencil in Black Dahlia is the perfect deep plum wine shade to rock this spring. Bonus: It’s a vegan and cruelty-free dupe for the popular MAC Cosmetics liner Nightmoth!
10. Brown Eye Shadow: If subtlety is more your personal beauty style, this next big spring trend is for you! This spring, beauty lovers everywhere are embracing earthy, natural toned eye shadows. Whether you go for a chocolate brown liner or a taupe-y shadow, try out being a brown-eyed beauty this spring!
Josie Maran’s Argan Beautiful Eyes Palette in Nudes will help you achieve the perfect natural, earthy look this spring!
11. Shades of Purple: From deep plums to lovely lilacs, varying shades of purple eye shadow could be seen all over the runway during Fashion Week. For a more dramatic look, use deeper shades to emphasize your eyes; for a fun, flirty daytime look, try using a lighter metallic purple to add some brightness and fun!
Looking for the perfect purple eye shadow, eyeliner, or mascara? Here are my top 5 purple products to try this spring:
- Josie Maran Argan Beautiful Eyes Palette in Purples: this palette includes a deep purple liner shade, a rich purple, a mauve, a lilac, and a golden highlight shade.
- Zosimos Botanicals Blackberry Eye Pencil: a deep maroon eyeliner pencil with purple undertones that will be the perfect shade to line your eyes with this spring.
- Gabriel Cosmetics Eye Shadow in Aubergene: this shade is a brownish plum that is an excellent crease color for smokey eyes!
- ZuZu Luxe Mascara in Midnight Violet: For all my green-eyed ladies out there, if you haven’t tried wearing a deep plum mascara, now is the time!
- Addictive Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Grape Soda: a true purple shade, Grape Soda will help you make a statement this spring! Try using this shade on your lids and a dark brown in your crease for a pretty twist on the classic smokey eye.
12. Pretty Pastels: Nothing says spring quite like pastels! Though wearing pastel eye make-up may sound a bit 80’s, beauty mavens are flocking to this trend this spring. To keep your pastel make-up chic rather than costume-y, try incorporating it as an eyeliner or at the inner corners of your eyes to brighten up your basic look.
For my pastel eyeliner, I used a wet an angled eyeliner brush and the lightest blue shade from Pacifica Beauty’s Power of Love palette (available exclusively at Target).
Here are 3 of my other favorite pastel eye make-up products:
- Addictive Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Twinkle Toes: a matte minty green with hints of sparkle throughout it. This shade is perfect for adding a pop of color at the inner corners of your eyes!
- ZuZu Luxe Eye Shadow in Angel: a soft lilac with gold shimmer. Sweep this across your eyelids for a soft, dreamy look.
- The All Natural Face Mineral Eye Shadow in Petal Pink: a soft, baby pink shade. Blue-eyed girls will look great with this shade as a dramatic winged eyeliner!
What’s your favorite way to get glowing this spring?
More spring beauty and style: All Natural DIY Spring Pedicure
Photos:, Zoya, Pacifica Beauty, Josie Maran Cosmetics, Becky Curl