2015’s Pantone Color of the Year is marsala! A beautiful, deep, earthy red, marsala is sure to add a luxurious touch to any beauty routine. Some may wonder why this shade was chosen out of the multitude of colors available; Pantone Color Institute’s Executive Director Leatrice Eiseman spoke on this subject on Pantone’s website,
“Marsala enriches our mind, body and soul, exuding confidence and stability. Marsala is a subtly seductive shade, one that draws us in to its embracing warmth.”
Here are my top 10 favorite vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics in 2015’s marsala! Incorporate any of these burgundy beauties into your everyday make-up look, and you’ll be sure to be glowing all year!
1. Pacifica 7 Free Nail Polish in Red Red Wine, ($9) available online and in-store at Whole Foods. Why I love it: Not only are Pacifica’s nail polishes 100% vegan and cruelty-free, but they are also free of parabens, phthalates (dibutyl phthalate), toluene, xylene, camphor, formaldehyde, and resin. With this particular shade, I prefer to use Pacifica’s Matte Top Coat to deepen the red tone and give it that earthy, marsala vibe.
2. Aromi Rich Rosewood Matte Liquid Lipstick, ($17) available on Etsy and on Aromi’s website. Why I love it: This shade embodies marsala perfectly. A deep, rich, burgundy, Rich Rosewood Matte Liquid Lipstick provides a gorgeous, matte color with some serious staying power! Your lips won’t dry out, even after hours of wear time.
3. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Berry Bliss, ($22) available online and in-store at Sephora. Why I love it: Finding a flattering blush color that won’t give you an over-the-top flush is no easy task. This particular product allows you to build your cheek color to your most flattering shade without it getting cakey. Using a deep wine color like Berry Bliss will help define your cheek bones while still adding a pinch of color that will brighten up your face and help you get glowing!
4. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar: Metallic in Black Metal Dahlia, ($18) available online and in-store at Sephora. Why I love it: OCC Make-up never fails to provide its customers with fun, trendy lip colors that are sure to make a statement. Black Metal Dahlia is the perfect lipstick shade for those who want to rock the marsala trend in an edgier, unique way. If you want to stand out, while still paying homage to this year’s beauty trends, this is the lipstick to try!
5. Addictive Cosmetics Eye Shadow/Eyeliner Pigment in Heart Strings, ($4.99) available on Etsy. Why I love it: Addictive Cosmetics eye shadows are highly pigmented, super blendable, and good for you! On top of being vegan and cruelty-free, they are also free of harsh chemicals, synthetic dyes, preservatives, fragrances, parabens, and fillers, and they are gluten-free, soy-free, hypoallergenic, and non-comedogenic. This lovely marsala-esque shade is also a vegan dupe for MAC’s Cranberry eye shadow!
6. Just Pure Minerals Vegan Blush in Merlot, ($13.95) available on Etsy and on Just Pure Minerals’ website. Why I love it: As someone with oily, acne-prone skin, powder blushes are a must on most days. This particular shade will liven up your cheeks on even the dullest of winter days! Bonus: Its plum undertones make it a universally flattering shade!
7. Zosimos Botanicals Lip Liner Pencil in Burgundy, ($15) available on Etsy and on Zosimos Botanicals’ website. Why I love it: Finding the perfect lip liner color is no easy task–red lip liners are often too bright or too orange. Zosimos Botanicals’ burgundy lip liner is a deep matte wine shade that will serve as the perfect base for your lovely marsala-colored lips!
8. Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Unicorn Blood, ($18) available on the brand’s website. Why I love it: The current sold-out status of this product (it’s back in April, no worries!) says it all! This darker, rusty red marsala-esque liquid lipstick is opaque, matte, and long-lasting. Bonus: It is also paraben and gluten-free!
9. Black Dahlia Lacquer Nail Polish in Scarlet Begonias, ($6.75 for 8ml & $10.75 for 14ml) available on the brand’s website. Why I love it: Black Dahlia Lacquer is an independent, hand-crafted nail polish company that creates vegan, cruelty-free and 5-free (their polishes do not contain DBP, Toluene, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin or Camphor) nail polishes. This polish is the perfect shade for when you’re looking to add a little “glitz” to your everyday manicure!
10. Ollie and Max Soap Co. Organic and Vegan Lip Tint in Vixen/Burgundy Red, ($6) available on Etsy. Why I love it: Ollie and Max Soap Co. create my absolute favorite vegan and cruelty-free lip balms! They leave your lips soft and smooth for hours. This particular shade will give you the moisture of a balm coupled with a subtle marsala tinted shade for your lips! It is perfect for days when you want to add a little bit of color to your look, while still keeping it subtle and natural.
What’s your favorite way to wear marsala?
Also by Becky: Pin Up Girl Hair and Makeup Tutorial
How to Rock Bold Lipstick Fearlessly!
Photos: Pantone, Pacifica Beauty, Aromi, Josie Maran, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, Addictive Cosmetics, Just Pure Minerals, Zosimos Botanicals, Jeffree Star Cosmetics, Black Dahlia Lacquer,Ollie and Max Soap Co.