As the saying goes, you have to use the right tools for the job. After all, you wouldn’t use a fork to eat cereal! The same adage can be applied to your beauty routine. With the wrong tools, your high-end foundation can look more patchy than poreless. And, on the flip side, even the cheapest bargain bin eyeshadow can look just as good as the pricier brands given the proper application. There is a dizzying array of tools to choose from, so I’ve narrowed it down to the most essential brushes that every makeup lover should have in their arsenal. So, whether you’re a beginner to the beauty world or on a first-name basis at Sephora, here are my top picks for the 7 makeup brushes every woman should own!
1. Flat shader brush: This brush is best for packing color onto the lid. You can also use the tip of the brush for smudging along the lashline, or for creating a defined line in the crease. The flat shader brush is also best for creating a “foiled” effect (wet, metallic look) without causing annoying eyeshadow fall out; simply spray the brush lightly with a setting spray and use gentle patting motions.
2. Stiff dome brush: Best for buffing out colors on the lid and blending out any harsh lines. A stiff crease brush is critical for achieving the classic smokey eye.
3. Soft dome brush: Similar to the stiff dome brush, but the bristles are more loosely packed and softer. This brush is for blending and creating smooth gradients of color. It’s also perfect for blending and highlighting in targeted areas like the brow bone and tops of the cheekbones. I even use this brush to gently blend concealer under the eyes.
4. Small detail brush or pencil brush: A fine-tipped brush like this one is ideal if you want precise placement, such as darkening the outer corners of the eye for extra depth and drama. It’s also fantastic for all those tiny details, like smudging liner on the lashline, or dotting concealer on specific blemishes.
5. Fluffy powder brush: A soft, loosely bristled brush like this is ideal for when you want a diffused effect over a large area. It’s perfect for applying a sheer veil of setting powder without disturbing the foundation beneath, or for when you want a natural looking bronzed glow.
6. Duo fiber face brush: I love brushes like these for when I need extra control over color and coverage. A duo fiber brush stipples on buildable layers of foundation, highlight or intensely pigmented blushes.
7. Beauty sponge: Ok, so technically this isn’t a makeup brush, but it’s such a vital piece of my collection that I had to mention it! A beauty sponge like this one is my go-to for applying foundation, as it imparts an airbrushed finish with none of the accidental streaking you might get from a brush. The pointed end is great for maneuvering underneath the eyes, and the pointed tip precisely dots concealer onto blemishes. A sponge can also stipple away any extra bronzer or blush that you may have been over-zealous with.
There you have it, my picks for the 7 makeup brushes every woman should own! Do you agree? Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments!
More on makeup brushes: Kelly Quan Vegan Makeup Brush Set Review
How to Clean Vegan Makeup Brushes
Better than Fur Cruelty Free Makeup Brushes
Also by Sarah: 7 Ways to Break Out of Your Fitness Rut
Photo: xakirzat via Flickr; Maccosmetics.com, sephora.com, realtechniques.com