It’s not called beauty sleep for no reason! Save yourself some precious shut-eye by practicing an overnight beauty routine. If you want to hit that snooze button one more time while still waking up with pampered hair, skin, and nails, try these 6 tips for better beauty sleep!
1. Get a full 8 hours. I know, I know, this is easier said than done. But trust me, getting adequate (and quality) sleep does wonders for your overall health. And we all know that when we feel well rested physically and mentally, our body will reflect that externally with healthy looking skin, eyes and hair. If, like me, you tend to toss and turn a good hour before finally nodding off, get into the habit of practicing mindful meditation or relaxation techniques before you hit the hay to promote quality sleep. Or, try a few of my tips for getting better sleep!
2. Swap out your pillowcase. Experts recommend switching out your ratty old cotton pillowcase for something with more slip, like satin. The smoother surface will not only pamper your hair by preventing breakage and tangles, but it also reduces the dreaded pillow face wrinkles the morning after.
3. De-puff while you dream. Sorry stomach sleepers of the world, but sleeping on your back is the best way to prevent wrinkles and fluid build up on the face. Reduce your bags further by propping your head up with an extra pillow, and using a good quality eye cream. The extra height allows the fluid from around the eye area to drain more efficiently.
4. Make some waves. For effortless, heat-free mermaid hair, try braiding your hair right before bedtime when your hair is still slightly damp, but not sopping wet. The tighter your braid, the tighter and kinkier the wave will be when you wake up. Another method involves tying your hair up into four loose buns on the top of your head. In the morning, let down the hair for easy loose waves.
5. Lengthen your lashes. Skip the pricey prescription lash lengtheners and go the DIY route by using castor oil to promote long and healthy eyelashes. Before bed, dip a clean mascara spoolie into some of the oil, and comb them through the lashes and brows. This will help condition the hair, promote growth, and prevent breakage.
6. Turn your bed into a spa. Like getting pampered but not all the time it takes? Here are a few ways you can beautify while you snooze: Apply a hydrating lotion to dry skin and feet, and cover with thick socks. Repair chapped lips with a thick lip balm. Prevent split ends by using a leave-in conditioner on the ends of hair. And lastly, one of my favorite things to do right before bed is apply a hydrating sleep mask like this one, a Korean cult classic for very good reason.
How do you get your beauty sleep on? Sharing is caring! 🙂
Also by Sarah: Sweet or Savory DIY Cashew Cream!
More in Natural Beauty: The Deal with Vitamin D and Sunscreen
Photo credit: Paul Curto via Flickr