Nearly every beauty or wellness related article includes this one fundamental tip: stay hydrated. For many of us, this advice is easier said than done. Who really enjoys chugging 8 full glasses of water every single day? (not to mention the subsequent trips to the bathroom every hour!). While staying hydrated is undoubtedly crucial for overall well being, why not try some more creative ways to get your daily dose of aqua. Here are some sneaky tricks to keep hydrated without being attached to your Nalgene 24/7.
1. Eat your water. Approximately 20% of the water we need comes from food. The easiest way to find it is in raw veggies. Cucumbers are 95% water, cauliflower is 92%, and so is spinach, just for a small sample. Eat a big salad, throw them in a smoothie, or simply dip your veggies into a tasty spread.
2. Curb the munchies. Often we mistake being thirsty or dehydrated for hunger. Before you reach for the chips, see if a tall glass of H2O does the trick. Sometimes, all our body needs is the sensation of “fullness” to satisfy the urge to snack.
3. Flavored water/seltzer. This is probably my favorite trick because it adds a little flavor twist on, well, plain old water. Borrring. The sparkling water is satisfying and refreshing like soda, but without all the sugar and empty calories. You can also throw in some sliced cucumbers, lemons, and fruit for a quick “spa water” treat.
4. Take a break. Need a break from sitting in your office cube staring at a computer screen? What better excuse than to take a walk to get some water, stretch your legs and take a short rest. Much healthier than a smoke break!
5. Make it a morning ritual. Your body is dehydrated after 8 hours of sleep. Before you start downing the coffee, have a glass of water instead. If you crave the psychological satisfaction of a hot drink, try a mug of hot water with a lemon slice, or even a non-caffeinated herbal tea. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.
6. Challenge yourself. Track your water intake progress and make it a daily goal. For example, you could make it your goal to finish 2 full water bottles before the end of the day. Or, try marking your water bottle with time goals to keep your daily consumption on track.
7. Think cheap. Restaurants make their money off overpriced beverages. Luckily, water is free! So save your money for the dessert and drink water instead!
No more excuses! Which of these tricks will you use to stay hydrated this season?
Also by Sarah: 5 Hair Mistakes You Don’t Know You’re Making