To make the plate more balanced I added some almond flakes for healthy fats and plant-based protein. If you want something more filling, you can make a small bowl of brown rice with fried tofu as well.
I love to use a pre-packed store bought salad mix as a base, but you can make your own as well, just simply chop any kind of lettuce you love, add a bit of shredded cabbage (purple or white), maybe thinly sliced carrots as well.
Warm Baked Apple Salad (GF Vegan)
- 2 big handfuls garden salad mix (romaine lettuce, radicchio, cabbage, carrot)
- 50 g blueberries
- 1 tbsp almond flakes
- 1 small apple, sliced
- 4–5 baby tomatoes, chopped
- 1 oz piece shredded vegan cheese (about the size of a thumb)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slice the apple into thinner pieces.
3. In a mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 tbs olive oil, 1/2 tbs lemon juice, sugar, a dash of salt. Toss the apple pieces into the bowl and stir well until the sauce covers each piece well.
4. Place the apples on a parchment paper over baking tray and put it in the pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes. Just until the apples get a little color but they are not baked through. Depending on the type of apple you use the time can be different.
5. Meanwhile chop the baby tomatoes and mix them together with your salad mix, almond flakes and blueberries. Add the rest of the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar and combine well. Add in the apples and top with the grated vegan cheese.
Also by Imola: Rosemary White Bean Mushroom Salad
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth