“Refried Bean” Vegan Tostadas With Cilantro Jalapeño Crema
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (1 1/2 cups) pinto beans
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, packed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 pickled jalapeños
- 1 teaspoon pickling liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 corn tortillas, toasted in a pan until crispy
- Optional toppings: pickled jalapeños, avocado slices, vegan cheese
1. Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and green chiles and cook for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, and sea salt. Mash about half of the bean mixture with the back of a spoon and saute for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Two make the salsa, bring two cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add corn and blanch for 2 minutes, drain, and run under cold water. Place cooked corn in a large bowl with tomatoes, onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine. Set aside.
3. To make the crema, place cilantro, tahini, lime juice, jalapeños, pickling liquid, sea salt, and water in a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
4. To assemble tostadas, spread a tablespoon of the “refried beans,” top with the tomato corn salsa, and drizzle on the crema. Top with more pickled jalapeños, avocado slices, or vegan cheese.
Also by Molly: Chickpea Vegetable Fajitas
Related: Vegan Sweet Potato Tofu Quesadilla
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne