Vegan Tom Yum Soup
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 6 Dried birds eye chillis
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves
- 4 sticks Lemongrass
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- 4 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoonss Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind paste
- 3 1/2 cups Boiling water
- 1 Beef tomato
- 1/2 cup Coconut cream
- 1 Red chili
- 2 cups Oyster mushrooms
- 1 block (or 3 cups diced) Firm tofu
1. Make a paste by grinding the dried chilies and garlic in a pestle and mortar.
2. Make the stock by squeezing the juice of half a lime and adding it to the sugar, soy sauce and tamarind paste along with 700ml of boiling water.
3. On a low heat, fry the paste in coconut oil for around a minute and then add in the lemongrass and kefir lime leaves, stirring for another minute.
4. After this, dice the tomato and add it into the pot along with the coconut cream and broth.
5. Lastly cut the chili in half vertically and add that into the soup, along with diced tofu and thinly cut oyster mushrooms.
6. Bring to the boil and then leave the mixture to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
7. Once ready, carefully spoon out the lemongrass, chili and lime leaves and serve the soup hot.
Also by Hannah: Vegan Eggnog Ice Cream
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Hannah Roberts