Vegan Reuben Sandwiches
- 2 slices Rye bread
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 2 slices vegan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut
- For Tempeh Corned Beef:
- 1 14oz package tempeh
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- pinch cayenne pepper
- For Thousand Island Dressing:
- 2 tablespoon veganaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickled relish
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
1. Chop your tempeh into short, thin strips.
2. Combine all other “corned beef” ingredients in a shallow dish and marinate the tempeh for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Combine veganaise, ketchup, relish, and sriracha in a small bowl until you have a beautiful, creamy thousand island sauce.
4. Heat olive oil in a pan and allow marinated tempeh to cook and brown on both sides. This should take about 7 minutes total.
5. Butter your bread. Spread a thin layer of thousand island on both sides. Add the cheese and cook open-faced on a skillet, until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from heat.
6. Lastly, add the cooked tempeh and top with sauerkraut to assemble sandwich.
7. Grab a few extra napkins, your favorite Irish ale, and enjoy!
Also by Christina: Vegan Southwestern Chili
Related: Vegan Irish Vegetable Boxty
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Christina Ramirez