It has been pretty stormy in my neck of the woods over the past couple of days and that means one thing—ramen. Whenever it is cold, rainy, or generally gloomy outside, I start craving the umami-laden broth, noodles, and layers of vegetables included in a steaming bowl of vegan ramen. When I lived in Washington, DC, I had the privilege of living near a restaurant that serves the best ramen I have ever had in my life. After moving to North Carolina—and without a ramen joint nearby—I had to get creative. Using simple ingredients to provide deep color and flavor, I have created a flavorful curry-infused vegan ramen broth that will blow your mind. Get ready to dispel the rumors that ramen is a difficult, time-consuming, and labor-intensive meal. With eight ingredients and about 45-minutes, you will be on your way to vegan ramen heaven. Enjoy!
- 6 cups water
- 8 ounces shiitake or cremini mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 colves garlic
- 1 sheet nori
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 Massel 7 Chicken-Style Bouillon Cube
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Optional Toppings: bok choy, bean sprouts, pickled ginger, radishes, crispy tofu, scallions
- 4-6 ounces ramen or rice noodles
2. Peel the ginger, slice the onion in half, and peel the garlic.
3. Add the ginger, onion, garlic, mushrooms, soy sauce, nori, and the chicken-style bouillon cube to the water.
4. Bring the broth to a boil then lower the temperature and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Add the curry powder and simmer for another five minutes.
5. Remove and discard the ginger, onion, and garlic.
6. Add your desired noodles, vegetables, and protein. Serve hot!
7. If you are not going to serve all of the ramen, I recommend storing the broth separate from the noodles and vegetable toppings to stop everything from getting soggy.
8. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. The broth will keep for 3-5 days.
Also by Olivia: Classic Vegan Lasagna
Related: Korean Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Olivia Parr