Vegan Pulled “Pork” Sliders With Banana Peel
- Banana peels
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- Coleslaw (for filling)
- (Mini) burger buns
- Drizzle of Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1. Before peeling the banana skins off, I’d usually clean them first with some baking soda, vinegar and scrub them with an end of a lemon with salt to help scrub the skin. On a bowl, simply just sprinkle some baking soda over the skin and pour some vinegar to let it fizzle out any dirt. Then using the end of a lemon as a scrubber, sprinkle over some salt as if you were exfoliating the skin. Then cut off the ends of the banana and save the fruit flesh in the freezer for either a smoothie or if I want to use them to bake banana bread. I would do this when I buy a whole bunch of bananas (usually with about 5–6 bananas) to save time and be more sustainable.
2. Now you’ve got your banana peels, scrape off and dispose the inner white parts then use a fork to shred the skin to make them look like pulled pork.
3. On a hot pan, drizzle some EVOO then sauté your “pulled pork” until soft.
4. Add in the BBQ sauce, your choice of spices. I used paprika and chili powder. Then some salt and pepper for taste and combine well.
5. Toast your burger buns. I used mini ones to make them into sliders but feel free to use the burger buns if you prefer. Add your vegan “pulled pork” filling, top with some coleslaw and any choice of additions that you desire such as vegan cheese, lettuce, etc.
6. Relish it with a side of more coleslaw or any salad of your liking. 🙂
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino