Since it’s soup season, I decided to create this recipe inspired by my childhood memory. Fun fact: I used to study at a Portuguese school when I was in kindergarten and I can still remember this comforting, smooth soup. Caldo Verde, meaning “green broth,” is traditionally topped with slices of chorizo (Portuguese sausages). But for this vegan friendly version we can simply switch it with any vegan sausages you have available.
It is perfect for chilly or rainy days and super simple to make! Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Portuguese Caldo Verde “Green Broth” Soup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 small potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- salt & black pepper (to taste)
- 7 ½–8 cups of vegetable stock
- handful green collards (I used 4 heads of bok choy)
- Vegan chorizo sausage (slices)
1. For the chopped potatoes, keep them in a bowl of water so that they won’t darken from oxidation.
2. As for the greens, only use the leaves part and thinly chop them into strips. (Don’t forget to keep the peels, scraps and freeze them to make your own veggie broth.)
3. Now on a hot pan, drizzle 1 tbsp oil and pan fry your vegan chorizo slices until golden brown and set aside for later.
4. Drizzle another tbsp of oil and sauté your onion, garlic and potatoes.
5. Season with some salt and black pepper.
6. Add half of your vegetable stock to help soften your potatoes and let simmer until you can poke through it with a fork.
7. Once your potatoes are soft, transfer them into a high speed blender and gradually add the remaining of your vegetable stock cup by cup until your desired consistency and smoothen. (You can also use a hand blender.)
8. Transfer your soup onto a pot, add your green and let simmer for 2–3 minutes.
9. Serve on a bowl and top with your chorizo slices and enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino