I always notice how much the consistency of passionfruit reminds me of an egg, so I wanted to experiment using it as a replacement, and it worked out wonderfully! The seeds also added a nice crunch. There is a bunch of shredded coconut in this recipe to help absorb some of the moisture and to add a nice tropical twist. If you want to cut back on sugar, you can skip the frosting and enjoy this more like a bread, rather than a cake. I recommend serving this with a bit of extra passionfruit pulp poured over each slice.
Vegan Passionfruit Coconut Cake
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup passionfruit pulp
- 3 mashed bananas
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- For the frosting:
- 1 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp passionfruit pulp
- 1 tsp almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Add the butter and brown sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat together until smooth.
3. Add in the passionfruit and bananas and beat again.
4. Stir in the flour, baking powder, spices, and coconut.
5. Fold in the walnuts and pour into the loaf pan. Bake for 1hr or until a toothpick comes out clean. It could take up to 1hr 20 mins depending on your oven.
6. While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
7. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Tropical Pineapple Coleslaw
Jamaican Jerk Mushrooms with Mango Salsa
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote