Usually, I am pro-chocolate for everything. If there are different options to snack on, I generally pick the chocolate one. The darker the better. That was before I tried these vegan orange coconut muffins though. My lovely landlord made them for me and since then, they are my absolute favorite. The combination of orange and coconut is so unbelievably good and the additional orange zest gives it a great taste! For a while we made them at least every other week and we would eat them all within two or three days. Not just are they super yummy, they are also very easy to make and are super light compared to any chocolate desert. You won't feel too full or bloated after eating a few of them in one sitting.😉 Try them. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Vegan Orange Coconut Muffins
1 + 1/3 cups white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
zests of 3 oranges oranges
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup (for glaze)
1 tablespoon orange juice or water (for glaze)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (340° F).
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients and incorporate it well.
4. Transfer the mixture to 12 muffin molds.
5. Bake for at least 30 minutes (do the toothpick test).
6. Take the muffins out of the oven.
7. Whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush each muffin immediately.
8. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the mold.
A self-described queer vegan feminist, Rebecca is also trying to live a more zero-waste and minimalist life. During her undergraduate and graduate studies she put a lot of focus on sustainability, LGBTQ+ rights and gender issues across the globe. Having lived on 5 continents in many different cultures and being an avid traveler, she loves to learn about new cultures, learn languages, and try all the amazing vegan food across the world.