Mujadara (Middle Eastern Lentils & Rice with Caramelized Onions)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup cooked rice
- 2/3 cup cooked green lentils
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a small pot and heat over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize. Set aside.
2. Add the remaining olive oil to a medium-sized pot over low heat. Add the rice, lentils, garlic, and cumin and stir well. Cook for about two minutes, until warmed.
3. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
4. Top with caramelized onions.
Also by Lauren: Red Pepper Walnut Dip (Muhammara)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote