These mozzarella sticks taste just like the real deal and they don’t require too many ingredients. I used all-purpose flour but you could try using an alternative to make it gluten-free. There is a step in the directions that requires freezing the mozzarella sticks before baking. DO NOT skip this step! If you do, you will be left with a sheet of melted, gooey, cheesy mess.
Vegan Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 10 oz block vegan cheese
- 3 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- For the marinara:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- to taste salt & pepper
1. Cut the block of cheese into ten sticks.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix together the butter and milk. Set aside.
3. Add the panko crumbs, garlic powder, and onion powder to a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
4. Add the flour to a shallow bowl and set the bowls up like a sort of assembly line.
5. One at a time, dip each cheese stick into the flour to coat it. Next, dip it into the butter and lastly, drop it into the panko crumbs and roll it around to cover it.
6. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
7. Place in the freezer for at least an hour before baking.
8. To prepare the marinara dipping sauce, add the olive oil and garlic to a small pot and sauté over low heat for a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together.
9. Bake cheese sticks at 400°F for 8 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and serve with marinara and basil.
More nostalgic recipes by Lauren: Vegan Calzone with Mixed Veggies (Veggie Lover Style)
Vegan Samoas (Coconut Girl Scout Cookies)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote