Asian-Style Vegan Meatballs With Pasta
- 2 cups Pasta
- 4 small pieces Kelp
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 can (cooked) Black Beans
- 1/3 can (cooked) Lentils
- 1/3 cup Oats
- 1/3 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1 tbsp Miso paste
- (optional) Chili Flakes
1. Bring the water to boil. Add the kelp and pasta. Simmer for 10 minutes and set aside.
2. Blend the black beans or mash finely with a fork. Add lentils, oats, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. It should be thick and liquid in consistency.
3. Sift in the brown rice flour gradually, until the mixture is firm enough to hold its shape.
4. Hand-roll the vegan meatballs and brush with oil.
5. Fry them until they’re brown and crispy-looking on the outside.
6. Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about the pasta! Stir in the miso paste.
7. Plate the pasta and add the vegan meatballs on top. If you like your food with a touch of spice, feel free to sprinkle on some chili flakes. Enjoy!
You can freeze this recipe and make a number of meals out of it. I usually make a batch of meatballs (20), or a batch of vegan meatballs (10) and a batch of burgers (4 large). This helps me to prepare for an easy meal—just heat and eat. These can also be used for vegan mince pie and vegan stir fries. Watch this space for more recipes incorporating easy meat alternatives 😊
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan