I used an egg replacer mix in this recipe but feel free to use applesauce, yogurt, mashed banana, or whatever else you like to use as an egg replacement. These replacements work well in heavier and more dense baked goods like this bread. I used green zucchini in this recipe but it would be delicious with some yellow squash as well. I would have made a frosting or glaze for this but it was far too hot and I worried it would have made a melted mess. This makes the perfect summer morning bread to enjoy with some tea.
- 2 tbsp bobs red mill egg replacer
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- juice from 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a bread loaf pan. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and egg replacer. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and both extracts. Add the egg replacement and whisk well.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Fold in the grated zucchini. I blitzed mine in a food processor.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake for 46 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote