Simple Chocolate Cake With Coconut Cream Frosting (GF Vegan)
- 2 small apples (shredded)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- Splash of vanilla
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 1 ½ cup premix gluten free flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder (or 1 tsp baking soda)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (for greasing)
- 1 can coconut cream (chilled)
- 1/4 vegan chocolate bar (shredded)
1. Using a food grater, shred your apples until the core and transfer into a big mixing bowl. The apples serve as your egg replacement that will help keep your cake moist. Alternatively you can also use applesauce.
2. Next add in the remaining wet ingredients (coconut milk, sunflower oil, vanilla) and raw cane sugar.
3. Moving onto your dry ingredients, gradually sift in your premix gluten free flour, cocoa powder (you can add more if you would like more chocolate taste), baking powder/ baking soda and salt.
4. Gently mix your cake batter with a spatula. Make sure to scrape the bottom part well where the flour usually gets stuck.
5. Grease 6″ cake tray with some vegan butter and transfer your batter.
6. Bake at 150°C for 30–40 minutes until fully baked.
7. After baking, cool down completely.
8. While waiting, whip up your coconut cream (make sure that it has been chilled beforehand). You can use as is or add your choice of sweetener if you’d like it more sweeter.
9. Add dollops of whipped coconut cream as your frosting on your cake and spread out smoothly.
10. Top with some shredded vegan chocolate or any toppings you would like and enjoy immediately. (If you will have it for later, keep it chilled in the refrigerator to let coconut cream frosting set.)
Also by Bel: Baked Vegan Mac N’ Cheese
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo by: @BelBrosasFaustino