For this recipe, you can sneak in hidden veggies that's especially great for picky eaters and I'll also share some tips for gluten-free eaters so it'll be a comforting crowd pleaser for all and no one gets left behind!
Classic Vegan Mac And Cheese (Gluten-Free option)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp choice of seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ¼ cup flour, sifted
- 2 cups vegan milk of choice
- ½ cup pasta water
- 1 small can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup veggies of choice
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 ½ cup precooked (elbow) pasta
Watch the video on our YouTube channel.
1. First prepare your seasoned breadcrumbs* by melting your vegan butter then combining your breadcrumbs and choice of seasoning (I like mixing in 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp Italian herbs together) and set aside for later. This will be for your topping before baking.
2. On a hot pan, drizzle your oil and sauté your onion and garlic cloves. (I usually like to soften the onions first before adding the garlic as they tend to burn easily and faster)
3. Next sauté your carrot until charred.
4. Then sift in your flour* and using a whisk, add in your vegan milk of choice (I like using something creamier like cashew milk) and saved pasta water to thicken your very own béchamel sauce.
5. Let it simmer and add your can of pumpkin puree (this is a neat trick to hide your veggies especially for kids!)
6. Then add in your choice of veggies (I like adding steamed broccoli, some greens like peas, spinach or even mushrooms).
7. Sprinkle a handful of shredded vegan cheese and mix until creamy and thick.
8. Add in your precooked elbow pasta* (or you can use any type of short pasta such as penne, fusilli, or whichever you have available but usually traditional mac and cheese is made with elbow pasta).
9. Transfer your amazing mac onto a baking square tray.
10. Flatten with a spatula and add your seasoned breadcrumbs.
11. Bake at 150°c for 15 minutes until topping is golden brown and until your house smells delicious!
12. Cut into 6 squares and enjoy immediately!
*Gluten free substitute:
– If you are gluten intolerant, for the breadcrumbs, you can easily replace it with ground almond flour or crushed nuts.
– For the béchamel sauce, you can change the flour with rice flour and it works perfectly fine, you will still achieve the thickness of the sauce.
– Nowadays, there are lots of gluten free pasta options so you don’t have to miss out!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo, video, and video editing by: @BelBrosasFaustino