Vegan Lemon Lavender Sugar Cookies With Lemon Glaze
- 1 teaspoon Culinary Lavender
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Organic Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Flax Seed
- 4 Tablespoons Water
- For the Glaze:
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
1. In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine the culinary lavender and sugar. Process or blend until the lavender and sugar are combined into a similar consistency (you will still see the lavender within the sugar, but the small buds should be processed much smaller than they started).
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flax seed, water. Mix together and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes until it thickens.
3. Add the lavender/sugar mixture and mix on medium until combined.
4. Add in the shortening, vanilla, juice/zest of 1 lemon and continue to mix.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
6. While the stand mixer is on low, add the dry ingredients and continue to mix until a thick dough forms.
7. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
9. Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to approximately 1/3 inch thick and shape cookies using cookie cutters of your choice (I also sometimes use the top of a small glass for circle shaped cookies).
10. Place on a greased cookie tray or a cookie tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 6-8 minutes. You will want to remove the cookies before they turn too golden if you are looking for a softer cookie.
11. Place the cookies on a wire rack to cool.
12. Continue gathering the leftover dough, repeat rolling it out and shaping into cookies and baking in the oven until you have used all of the dough.
13. While the cookies cool, assemble the glaze by placing 1 cup powdered sugar into a bowl and juicing one lemon into the sugar. Stir until a smooth glaze forms.
14. Dip the front of the cooled cookies into the glaze and allow to dry on a plate or cookie sheet.
15. Brew a pot of tea and enjoy!
Also by Colette: Vegan Roasted Fig & Raspberry Galette With Coconut Whipped Cream
Related: Lemon Lavender Energy Bites
Vegan Pecan Crusted Raspberry Mini Tarts
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Colette Goguen