Vegan Lecsó (Hungarian Ratatouille With Tomatoes & Paprika)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 800 g paprika, cut into thin strips
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tbs paprika powder (sweet or spicey or smokey)
- vegan frankfurter
1. In a huge pot heat up the oil and caramelize the onions, then add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and mix in the paprika powder. Always remove your pot from the heat before mixing in the paprika powder, otherwise it will get burnt and will taste bitter.
3. If you mixed it well, put the pot back over the heat and add thinly sliced paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
4. Cover the pot and let it cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Then add the tomato pieces to the paprika and cook for an additional 10 minutes. You can slice your vegan sausage and cook together. I make mine with vegan frankfurter now. Sometimes I cook it with the lecsó, other times I just add to my plate later. It depends on your taste. 🙂 If you want to try with mushrooms, add it to the paprika along with the tomato for the last 10 minutes.
If you like your lecsó less saucy and more thick, add the salt at the end. If you add it with the paprika too much liquid will come out of it. But that is how I like, depending on your taste you can decide
I used the traditional tarhonya/”egg drops.” Don’t worry if you can’t get them, any other kind of small sized pasta does it perfectly. Or use quinoa, rice or bread.
Also by Imola: Classic Vegan Mushroom Stew (Serve Over Pasta Or Gnocchi)
Vegan Korean Style Brussels Sprouts
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth