Since I haven’t given up my morning coffee but still want to jump on the matcha train, I normally consume matcha tea by mixing it into my oatmeal or putting a spoonful in a green smoothie. Simple!
Matcha tea lattes just look so good, however, that I had to try one for myself. This attempt came out surprisingly tasty, smooth, and mellow. Hopefully, you’ll like it, too. I can see this matcha latte replacing my occasional afternoon coffee when I just need *something* to help me power through the rest of the workday.
For the true latte experience, i.e. foamy, milky bliss, you’ll need a milk frother. There are several varieties out there, but we find that an inexpensive manual frother does the trick just fine—plus it’s a like a mini arm workout! But don’t worry if you don’t have a milk frother on-hand. You can still enjoy the taste and health benefits of a matcha tea latte with warm, un-foamy milk 🙂
A note on milk selection: I encourage you to experiment with vegan milks for your matcha tea latte. I choose soy (because it froths like a champ) and coconut (because I love the flavor). Almond, hemp, or even cashew would work as well.
Vegan Latte Recipes: Vanilla Coconut Matcha Tea Latte
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon (more if you like your tea stronger) matcha tea powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/8 teasppon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice (optional)
- ground cinnamon for garnish (optional)
1. Warm milk in a small pot over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Do not let the milk boil. When you see it steaming pretty seriously, you’re ready.
2. While the milk is warming, boil water. Place matcha tea powder in a mug, and pour the boiling water over the tea. Mix thoroughly, blending out all of the powder clumps. Set aside.
3. Once the milk is warm, pour into milk frother, and froth to your heart’s content. If you’re using a manual frother, keep the frothing disc submerged in the liquid at all times. Add vanilla and any sweeter to your milk and give a quick stir.
4. Pour the frothed milk over the matcha in your mug and stir gently a few times. Top your matcha tea latte with a dusting of ground cinnamon if you’d like. Enjoy!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell