Vegan Kale Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1/2 cup packed, shredded kale
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup diced artichoke
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- to top sliced onion
- to top sliced tomatoes
1. Begin by preparing your sandwich filling. Add the kale, cheese, artichoke, hummus, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to a bowl and mix well.
2. Add 1/2 tbsp butter to a cast iron pan over medium heat until it melts.
3. Add one slice of bread to the pan and top it with half of the filling, the sliced onions, and tomatoes. Top with the other slice of bread.
4. Let the sandwich cook for a couple minutes until the bottom slice turns a golden brown. Flip and cook for a couple more minutes until the cheese begins to melt.
5. Remove from heat and set aside. Repeat for second sandwich using leftover filling.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Eggplant Banh Mi Sandwich
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote